Ever wondered what it would be like if all those fabulous story lines from the super successful tv show Sex and The City were true? Imagine being a fly on the wall in the writers room! Trying to think up all those fun engaging story lines would have been challenging – right?! As it happens, the gorgeous Ms Cynthia Nixon (who played Miranda Hobbs) recently revealed in a live celebrity chat on IMDB Asks, that each of the episodes were based on real-life events. Aha – I bet your now thinking back to all those shows…I know I am 🙂
When the host of IMDB Asks, Retta asked Cynthia “Why do you think people are still so obsessed with Sex and The City?” The red-haired beauty replied “I think it’s really amazingly well written. I think it’s very complicated in a way, which is one of the reasons it can bare repeated viewing. So much happens in every episode. The way the threads of the four different plot lines, with the four different women are interwoven is very intricate. You really start to see all the ways in which they reflect on each other. It’s well acted, its beautiful to look at – beautifully shot…and I also think it’s the writing”.
Cynthia then went on to explain “Even though crazy and outlandish things happen in Sex and The City … they had a rule in the writers room that they couldn’t put anything in an episode that hadn’t literally happened to someone in the writers room. Or someone that they knew first hand. It couldn’t be like ‘my fathers, brothers, sister shoe repair guy heard once that…you know’…so that the outlandish physical sexual things that happened, they really happened. They’re not just tall tales”.
After I watched the interview I couldn’t get all those ‘over-the-top’ story lines out of my head. Samantha and Smith, Charlotte and Trey, Carrie and Aidan, Carrie and Big… I had so many interesting scenes flashing through my memory. So I thought I would list a few of my favourites… story lines that would have left the writers a tad embarrassed explaining to their co-workers 😉
Season 1 (1998)
Episode 5 – The Power of Female Sex
* Charlotte meets Neville Morgan, a renowned artist, who paints pictures of her vagina for his latest exhibition.
Episode 9 – The Turtle and The Hare
* Charlotte becomes addicted to a rabbit vibrator called “The Rabbit”.
Season 2 (1999)
Episode 3 – The Freak Show
* Charlotte dates the renowned “Mr. Pussy” and tries to make a real relationship out of it.
Episode 8 – The Man, The Myth, The Viagra
* Samantha dates an incredibly wealthy man in his seventies with a sumptuous lifestyle and a pocket full of Viagra.
Season 3 (2000)
Episode 2 – Politically Erect.
* Carrie continues dating her politician beau, but finds his sexual fetish to be anything but ‘golden’.
Episode 9 – Easy Come, Easy Go
* Samantha is upset when dating a hot guy with “funky tasting spunk”.
Season 4 (2001)
Episode 2 – The Real Me
* Samantha immortalizes herself by having nude photographs taken.
Episode 9 – Sex and The Country
* Carrie flips out at Aiden’s farm while Samantha seduces the farmer next door
Episode 10 – Belles of The Balls
* Carrie invites Big up to Aidan’s country home to “talk” and Miranda sleeps with Steve to cheer him up after he has one of his testicles removed.
Season 5 (2002)
Episode 3 – Luck Be An Old Lady
* Samantha is paranoid that Richard is cheating with the entire female hotel staff.
Season 6 (2003)
Episode 2 – Great Sexpectations
* A tenacious Charlotte pursues converting to Judaism for Harry.
Episode 4 – Pick a Little, Talk a Little
* Samantha and Jerry act out all their sexual fantasies.
But as most of us remember, the show wasn’t all about sex. There were so many wonderful intimate moments we loved just as much. But I will leave that list for another article 🙂 Hmm, I think it’s time I dusted off my DVD collection and get caught up in the girls entertaining lives all over again.
x x x